Mountain Biking is one of the most popular adventure sports in Gangtok, Sikkim. This exciting sport offered by Sikkim is to travel the terrain sitting on a Cycle/Bike. The uneven and splendid landscape can be understood by going around on a mountain bike. When you travel the off-road villages and know the culture of Gangtok, Sikkim, you feel the rich heritage and nature’s blessings.
From amateurs to professionals, there are mountain biking route for everyone. The mountain bikes are readily available on rent for a day or more. If you are going for any other sport like camping or rafting, you can get the bikes delivered to the spot from where you wish to start the biking.
Mountain Biking Routes In Gangtok, Sikkim
For amateurs willing to explore Gangtok beauty for a day on bike below routes are advisable:
While in Gangtok, you can rent the bike for one day sightseeing of the main tourist attractions, including Rumtek Monastery. Another route can be to take bike in Gangtok and go to some nearby villages, from Bhusuk Forest to Ranipool. Moreover, you can also pick the bike for a small ride from Tashi View Point to Ganesh Tok.
If you want to spend two days exploring Gangtok and nearby places on bike, you can choose the route from Gangtok ->Rumtek->Martam Village->Singtam
The above are small one or two day biking routes. The cost of one bike per day per person is about INR 1000.
If you are a professional, and looking for some more thrill and long runs from Gangtok, you can choose form the below known routes:
- Gangtok- Rumtek- Sang- Sirwani- Temi- Damthang- Rabong- Kewzing- Tashiding- Yusum- Pelling- Dentam- Rinchenpong- Soreng- Sombaria- Jorthang- Namchi- Rangpo (approx. 11 days)
- Gangtok- Phodong- Rangrang- DikchuMakha- Sirwani- Temi. (approx. 5 days)
- Gangtok- Rumtek- Sangh- Sirwani- Temi- Namchi- Jorethang- Melli (approx. 5 days)
- Gangtok- Rumtek- Sang- Sirwani- Temi- Namchi- Namthang- Rangpo (approx. 6-7 days)
- Rangpo- Rhenock- Rongli- Barapathing- Pakyong- Ranipool-Gangtok-Rumtek-Sang- Temi-Ravang-Tashiding-Pelling-Khechopalri Lake-Yuksom-Rabong-Dikchu-Mangan-Lachung-Yumthang (approx.15 days)
Mountain Biking Details In Gangtok, Sikkim
Needless to say, if you are looking forward to long excursions on bike, you must be physically fit to ride the bike on both uphill and downhill terrain for at least 25-30 km every day. One must prefer to go in a group for such travels, as more the better and safer. Nowadays, many tour organizers arrange for the trips including all meals, stay, guide, bike and other gears. The cost of these trips will depend on the services provided and inclusions. A five day trip will cost around Rs. 10,000 approximately.
Some known operators organizing mountain biking trips are:
If you have more questions around mountain biking in Gangtok, Sikkim, do post the queries in comments and we will get back to you.