At an altitude of 7,000 feet lies Ravangla a verdant, rustic small village in a bucolic setting. Until 2000, it hardly had any visitors. But in recent years, because of its location, views, culture and serenity many people opt to visit this small town in South Sikkim, which is just 65 km from Gangtok.
Gangtok To Ravangla
Ravangla is well connected to other cities of Sikkim including Gangtok by road. From Gangtok, you can either take a taxi or bus. A private taxi will cost around Rs. 1800, while a shared taxi will cost around Rs. 130. If you opt for state bus, you can reach Ravangla from Gangtok in less than Rs. 80. It takes about 2 hours from Gangtok to Ravangla. The direct bus and shared taxis are available only till early afternoon. Post this, it might be difficult to find any transport.
Tourist Attractions in Ravangla
Ravangla has something for everyone. It is the base point for trekkers going to Maenam Hill. Some of the major attractions nearby Ravangla are:
- Bird Watching: Here you will find the famous Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary. It is basically a Bird Sanctuary. And a home to many rare species of birds like Satyr Tragopan, Fire Tailed Myzorins, Grey Bushchat and many more. Professional bird watching tours are organised on regular basis.
- Rayong Sunrise Point: Watch how the first rays of sun kiss the snow covered peaks, giving a picture-postcard vista of blue sky, sun and rolling hills
- Kheunpheling Carpet Centre: You will get the best hand crafted Tibetan carpets here. It is a refugee settlement camp.
- Hot Springs: Borong and Ralang Cha-Chu are sulphur hot springs and have healing properties. It is best to visit them in winters, between December and February.
- Maenam Trek: A medium difficulty level trek of about 12 kms will take you to a height of 10,000 feet. It gives jaw-dropping view of Mt. Kanchenjunga and the surroundings.
There are several home stays and decent hotels in Ravangla. You can spent good one or two days, exploring nearing monasteries, waterfalls, caves and other places. From here, you can continue the journey towards Pelling.
Still looking for more information? Write in the comments below and we will help you.